PDF for printing: How to Discuss Any Sermon
HOW TO DISCUSS ANY SERMON while we are on our small group holiday break.
We don’t write sermon-based discussion questions during the summer and holiday weeks when most groups are not meeting. (We are currently on break until the new year.) If your group plans to meet or you want to discuss the message with family/friends, you may use the following guidelines to lead most any sermon discussion. We do, however, encourage you to customize these questions based on the sermon you just heard before you meet.
Be sure to check out the message link (generationschurch.com/message/) to find the Scripture references that were used. Use the questions that work, move on when they don’t. You may only need one question from each section.
Start talking. Pick a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s your favorite thing to do during the holidays?
- What was the best thing that happened to you this past week?
- If you had this week over again, what would you do differently?
Start thinking and sharing. Ask questions to get your group thinking and to create openness.
- If last Sunday’s message were re-delivered, what two points or ideas would you want to be included, no matter what?
- Was there any one thing that you most agreed with or disagreed with from the message? What was it and why?
- Read, reflect, and discuss the Scripture from the message individually.
- As you reflect on the Scripture from the message, what stands out the most to you? Why? As you’re reflecting, are there any similar verses that come to mind?
- As you reflect on the message, what one principle or insight stands out as being particularly
- difficult to grasp?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- What do the Scriptures and the message teach you about God? What do they teach you about yourself?
- When and where do you struggle the most with whatever issues were raised by the truths shared in this message? What steps can you take to handle these issues according to God’s Word?
- How could the next week be different if you incorporated these truths into your life?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- How can we pray for you regarding this issue?
- Pray through the prayer requests of your small group members, pray for our church family, the GC staff and volunteers, our country/leaders, and our families.
There are a couple of resources that the staff at generations would recommend for further study:
- Our website (genertionschurch.com) is full of great info about Jesus, Baptism, and many other topics.
- gotquestions.org has proven to be a trusted source of answers to many questions. We highly recommend it.