- Read 1 Samuel 25:14-42. To which character in this story do you most relate? Why?
- David’s character was hunted and hurting. List some reasons why David was hurting?
- Hurt people, hurt people. Are you hurting? If not, can you remember a time when you were hurting? How do you respond to others when you are hurting?
- Do you ever find yourself being upset with someone and then taking it out on someone else? For instance, you have a bad day at work. Who do you take that out on, if anyone? Can you share other examples?
- Discuss the “HALT” tool described in the message. Before engaging in any self-destructive behavior . . . ask yourself:
- Are you hungry?
- When did you last eat?
- Is your hunger emotional or does your body need food?
- If your body is asking for food, find something nutritious to snack on.
- Are you angry?
- What are you dealing with right now that is stressful?
- Is the stress what’s making you angry?
- Find out why you are angry and find ways to diffuse that anger.
- Are you lonely?
- When is the last time you socialized?
- Was it a positive or negative experience?
- Reach out for support. Let them help you.
- Are you tired?
- Have you been getting enough rest and giving your body the breaks it needs?
- How can you energize yourself?
- Take some time to yourself and relax.
- Do you currently have a relationship in your life in which you are tempted to or have thoughts of repaying evil with evil? In the future, what story do you want to tell about this period of your life when it’s just a “story” to tell? Read and discuss Romans 12:17-20.
- Have you ever attended CR Friday nights at Generations Church? Every adult is invited to attend and there’s free childcare for children age 6 months – 12 years old. It would be a great experience for your whole small group. You are all invited! You’ll find more info on our website: generationschurch.com/ministries/groups/celebrate-recovery/
CELEBRATE RECOVERY – HURTS, HABITS, & HANG-UPS
Daily Scripture Readings:
Day 1: Job 2:3; Psalm 78:72
Day 2: Daniel 1:8; Proverbs 1:3a; Proverbs 10:9a
Day 3: Proverbs 17:3; Romans 5:3-4
Day 4: 1 Chronicles 29:17; Psalm 15:1-2
Day 5: Philippians 4:8; 2 Peter 1:5-6
Day 6: Proverbs 4:23; Matthew 15:18-20
Day 7: 1 Corinthians 15:33; Titus 2:7-8