Download and Print PDF
Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Philippians 1:21 “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
2 Corinthians 5:8 “We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- In honor of Memorial Day, take a moment to share any names of friends and/or family members that are on your heart and pray together as a group to thank God for their willingness to give their lives for our country.
- Review Philippians 1:1-11. Share about your “pursuit of joy” journaling.
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking, to create openness.
- What is the Gospel (1 Corinthians 15:3-6; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 3:16-18)?
- Read Philippians 1:12-14. What results may the endurance of persecution for Christ’s sake have? Share any examples of this happening when youor someone you know was bold in sharing the Gospel of Christ.
- Read Philippians 1:15-18. What are some reasons why people share the gospel? No matter the motives, what was Paul’s chief consolation? When you heard a clear Gospel message for the first time, did it seem to be under a positive or negative circumstance? Was it presented with the right motives? How did it impact your life?
- Troy spoke of “chains” that God may put on us to accomplish something that would not happen any other way. If you can, take time to watch and discuss David Ring’s story (iamsecond.com/seconds/david-ring/).
- Tell about a time when you experienced hardship in your life (injury, job loss, illness, family situation, etc.). Did that situation provide an opportunity to do things you wouldn’t have done otherwise? Were you able to use that hardship to bring glory to God.
- Read Philippians 1:19-21. What is Paul’s secret to joy? In verse 21, Paul gives us his perspective on life and death. What is your perspective on life and death? Are you afraid of death or is it something you look forward to? Does the reality of heaven eliminate fear? If you have a personal faith in Christ, has it made a difference in your attitude toward death?
- Read Philippians 1:22-26. Even though he longed to be in heaven, Paul was convinced that he would remain with them. What keeps you (if anything) from longing to be with God in heaven? Encourage one another by reading these verses Revelation 21:1-4.
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Given your priorities and schedule this week, how would you honestly finish this phrase: “For me to live is ______________.” What would need to change to make it Christ?
- Read and discuss James 1:22-25; Romans 12:2; and Galatians 5:24. What do you need to do to die to yourself and your agenda?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Pray that the Gospel will impact and Christ will be exalted in every area of our lives. We will be “Doers of the Word and not hearers only.”
Start digging. For further study.