PDF for printing – Discussion Questions: Defining Moments
Celebrating COMMUNION in small group
John 13:34-35 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Acts 2:42 “ They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- If your group challenged each other to memorize a Scripture, take time to read/recite the verse together.
- Troy shared that our church has had some defining moments at Fort Caswell. Can you think of places that you remember fondly because you had “defining moments” there? Share with your group.
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking and to create openness.
- Read Acts 2:41-47. What are the two things Troy pointed out they didn’t have in the first church?
- When you think of other churches (denominations), what are some of the physical features or practices that those churches have that we don’t have at Generations? After reading the Acts description of “church,” discuss whether or not any of those things are necessary.
- The early church was persecuted for their faith. Have you had to deal with any persecution for your faith? Share with the group.
- Reread Acts 2:42. To what 4 things was the early church devoted? Read the following verses (and other verses you can think of) and discuss the reasons why these 4 things are important: Ephesians 4:14; 2 Timothy 3:15-17; Galatians 1:6-9; John 17:23; 1 Thessalonians 5:11; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Philippians 4:6-7.
- Troy spoke of how love changes people. Read and discuss Romans 12:9-10 and John 13:34-35. How have you seen love change lives?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Plan a time for your small group to celebrate Communion together, maybe around Thanksgiving holiday. Take a moment to discuss the article posted above titled “Celebrating Communion in Small Groups”.
- Plan a time as a group to show God’s love to someone in need as a group. It doesn’t have to be a huge project and you can even bless someone in your own group. It can be as simple as taking a meal to a family that needs encouragement, raking someone’s yard, bringing in lunch to feed the volunteers at 4019, blessing 1st responders in some way – there are so many ways to show God’s love to others.
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Kairos Men’s Weekend is October 17th-20th in Pender County. Pray that the men will be drawn to Christ to begin or recommit to a relationship with Jesus. FYI: our Dollar Club Funds will go to support this ministry and our missions team will be baking cookies.
- Pray that God will remove any obstacles that will hinder us from being able to begin worshipping at 4019 on October 20th.
- Pray through the requests in your small group prayer journal.
Start digging. For further study.