Download and Print PDF
“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Share a time when you’ve been caught in a white lie or a lie by omission.
- Have you ever faced a very public and embarrassing situation or messed up on something important? Did you lie to get yourself out of it?
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking, to create openness.
- Read John 1:25-42. What was the setting for Peter when he started following Jesus. If you have begun a personal relationship with Jesus, what was the setting when you began to follow Him? Who was responsible for initially bringing you to “meet” Jesus? What kind of impact has that had in your life?
- Simon immediately received a name change from the Lord. What did you feel and/or experience immediately after you began to follow Jesus? What changes can you see in your life now?
- Peter publicly denied Jesus 3 times. How do you think Peter felt when, despite his best intentions, he lied and denied Jesus?
- What happens when we let our emotions, rather than our faith, control our actions?
- Read John 21:15-22. Does the knowledge that Jesus knows all things, impact the way you make decisions? Why or why not?
- We have been looking at a situation where Peter has been humbled by the Lord. Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Please share.
- Peter experienced forgiveness and grace, following his denial of Jesus. How does this give you hope? Share experiences with the group.
- Is there something in your life that is keeping you from a closer relationship with God? Are you in denial about its existence?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- What guardrails do you need to set up so that you remain loyal to Christ even when you’re dealing with fear, denial, lying, pride, and other character defects that create a barrier between you and God?
- Jesus commissions Peter to “feed His sheep”. What is God calling you to do? Read Romans 12:3-8. What spiritual gift(s) has God given you for this calling?
- If you currently volunteer at Generations, share encouraging stories of how God has used you. How has serving drawn you closer to Him? If you don’t currently serve, have you ever considered filling out an application to serve at Generations Church?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Read Philippians 3:12-14. God equips us to be like Peter and others who fail but get back up and go forward to seek to bring YOU glory in all we do and say. Thank you for loving us and allowing us to serve you.
Start digging. For further study.