Why do Christians pray?
- They pray because talking to God is like eating chocolate.
- They pray because they get free stuff.
Click here to print.
TEXT: James 5:13-20
- What brings you joy? What is your favorite “comfort” food/treat?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being “I have never prayed” and 10 being “I have the prayer life of Jesus,” how would you rate your prayer life?
- What are the greatest obstacles to you for having a healthy prayer life?
- Read James 5:13-15. James mentions 4 different occasions/circumstances for prayer: trouble, happiness, sickness, and sin. At the end of small group when we take prayer requests, which of these circumstances elicit the most prayer requests? Why?
- Which of the circumstances elicit the least prayer requests? Why?
- Read James 5:16-17. Are the prayers of a really strong Christian more powerful than the prayers of an average Christian?
- Discuss Troy’s answers which are: Yes, there are sins that prevent our prayers from being heard. See this link for things that hinder prayer: https://gotquestions.org/prayer-hindrances.html.
- No, Jesus made us righteous so our prayers are powerful and effective because we come to God made righteous by the blood of Jesus. It’s why God told us to approach his throne with boldness.
- Read James 5:19-20. What does it mean to “wander from the truth?”
- How can prayer help turn someone who has wandered from the truth?
- What are some practical things that we can do on a daily basis to take our prayer life to the next level?
Daily Bible Readings for the week of 12/04/2016:
Day 1: James 5:1-6
Day 2: James 5:7-12
Day 3: James 5:13-18
Day 4: James 5:19-20
Day 5: Matthew 13:24-30
Day 6: Psalm 6
Day 7: Proverbs 15:28-33