Click here to print.
- Being completely honest, what things in your life do you consider to be “treasures” and why.
- Read Matthew 6:19-21. Which of your treasures would/should you freely give up? Which would be difficult/impossible to give up? Why?
- What were the types of Biblical giving explained in the message? How would you explain these types of giving to a new believer?
- Read 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 and Luke 21:2-3. What is the focus of these verses? What is the first thought that comes to your mind when the topic of tithing or giving is brought up? Is it Joy? Why or why not?
- Read Matthew 23:23. Read and discuss the following from Got Questions. org.
- “The fourth woe calls out the scribes and Pharisees for their practice of diligently paying the tithe while neglecting to actually care for people. While they were counting their mint leaves to make sure they gave one tenth to the temple, they “neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness” (Matthew 23:23). Once again, they focused on the letter of the Law and obeyed it with pride, but they missed the weightier things of God. Their religion was external; their hearts were not transformed.”
- What was Jesus’ position on giving?
- Is godly character more important than giving?
- What is the last thing Jesus says at the end of verse 23?
- How does that affect your personal perspective on giving?
- Read Proverbs 4:23. Where is your heart in all of this?
- What advice related to money and giving would you offer to a young person? Have you taken Financial Peace University? Is there someone you want to encourage to take FPU?
- Brainstorm ways (finances, resources, skills, abilities, and/or time) in which your Small Group could support missions locally and/or abroad (e.g. Matthew’s Ministry, South Brunswick High School Welcome Back Teachers, meals for Celebrate Recovery Friday Night, etc. Amanda Pittman, Missions Director at GC and your leader have more details.).
Further study: You can read and discuss these passages Romans 5:1-11.
Also, you could take time to read and discuss the gotquestions.org on Matthew 23:13-36
Why did Jesus rebuke the scribes and Pharisees so harshly in Matthew 23:13–36?
Daily Scripture Readings:
Day 1: Matthew 23:1-12
Day 2: Matthew 23:13-22
Day 3: Matthew 23:23-28
Day 4: Matthew 23:29-30
Day 5: Romans 5:1-5
Day 6: Romans 5:6-11
Day 7: Matthew 6:19-21