PDF for printing Discussion Questions – 11-10-19
PDF for printing 2nd Page 11:10:19
Philippians 4:6-7 (NLT)
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Thinking back to school days, did you ever blame a teacher for poor grades knowing that you hadn’t followed through with your responsibility to study? Share with the group.
- Think of partnerships you have had in your life. What do you think made them work or fail?
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking and to create openness.
- Let’s look at Shawn’s list and some scriptures that tell us how, when, and why God answers our questions.
- Trust Me, I have My reasons. Isaiah 55:8-9 (Share a time when you trusted God even though you didn’t understand.)
- So you will grow. James 1:2-4 (Share a circumstance you have overcome and now know that it has made you mature in your faith.)
- You never asked. James 4:2-2 (Share a time when you expected a friend or your spouse to know what you wanted/needed even though you hadn’t asked. How did you feel when they got they got it wrong? How do you react when you think God got it wrong? Did you ask Him or expect Him to read your mind and do exactly what you wanted? How did that work out?)
- You’re asking for the wrong reasons. James 4:3-3 (What does it mean to pray in God’s will?)
- So you’ll rely on Me. Deuteronomy 13:4 (Have you ever prayed asking God to play a support role in your circumstance? What happened? Share a time when you completely surrendered a circumstance to the Lord. Was the outcome what you expected? In retrospect, can you better understand His response and why?)
- Just wait. Psalm 84:11 (Does this verse bring you comfort or frustration? Why?)
- I have something better in mind. Matthew 7:9-11 (Share a time when you’ve rushed to a decision only to realize that, had you waited, something better was available.)
- I’m protecting you. Psalm 71:12-16 (Share some examples of how God has protected you or someone you love.)
- I’m making you more like Jesus. Romans 8:26-29 (Are you asking or neglecting to ask the questions that will lead you to become more like Jesus? What are those questions?)
- Because I love you. Romans 8:31-32 (At this moment, are you feeling loved by God? Why or why not?)
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Honestly examine your prayer life. Make any changes needed to revitalize it.
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Ask God the questions that are on your heart today/tonight.
Start digging. For further study.