Click here to print.
2 Peter 3:9
“The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
“For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Which is harder to believe: “Jesus is completely God” or “Jesus is completely man”?
- Go to Our Beliefs. Read the sections titled “About – the Scriptures, – God, – Jesus, and – the Holy Spirit.”
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- Read John 10:30-33, Hebrews 2:17-18, and Philippians 2:5-6. Jesus is fully man. Jesus is fully God. What are some ways that these statements confuse you and/or encourage you?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
“Why is the question over Jesus’ true identity so important? Why does it matter whether or not Jesus is God? The most important reason that Jesus has to be God is that if He is not God, His death would not have been sufficient to pay the penalty for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Only God could pay such an infinite penalty (Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21). Jesus had to be God so that He could pay our debt. Jesus had to be man so He could die. Salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ. Jesus’ deity is why He is the only way of salvation. Jesus’ deity is why He proclaimed, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).”
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- The idea that salvation is available only through faith in Jesus Christ makes Christianity exclusive. Read 2 Peter 3:9. While the way to God is exclusive, He doesn’t exclude anyone from the opportunity. However, those who choose not to accept are excluded. Read John 3:17-18. If you do have a relationship with Jesus, how should these statements and verses impact your daily life? If you don’t, what’s standing in your way?
- Does your group still have questions? Remember we are starting a new series on March 10th called “You Asked For It,” so feel free to text any questions to: 910-405-1237. WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Take a moment to pray and thank Jesus, who is fully God, for coming to earth and becoming fully man for your sake.
Start digging. For further study.
- Why can’t we just say that Jesus was a good moral teacher? Read and discuss the full article “Who is Jesus Christ?” to help answer this frequently asked question.