(Message 1) Many use Jesus as an “additive” to their lives, something to enhance their situation. This is not what God intends. Jesus comes to change our story, but He comes on His own terms. Join us as we watch give a man identified as “Legion” a better story.
Getting a better story:
- Proximity to Jesus does not guarantee a better story.
- Invite Jesus to take over your story.
Click here to print.
- Who is your favorite athlete or actor to watch? How do they give people around them a “better story?”
- Have you ever worked with or lived with someone who gave you a better story? What did they do that made them so special?
- Read Luke 8:26-37. Does demon possession or oppression still happen today? Read and discuss the following definition from carm.org:
- “The Bible tells us that there are demons who war against God and his people (Eph. 6:12). And if that weren’t bad enough, sometimes people open themselves up to demonic oppression without realizing it. Now, if you’re a Christian you need to understand that you cannot be demon possessed. Demonic oppression, on the other hand, does occur against Christians. Demonic oppression is the attack by demonic forces that can result in illness, depression, financial difficulty, abnormal fear, etc. So, it is a good idea to be aware of things that can open up a person to spiritual oppression.” Excerpted from: carm.org/questions/about-demons/what-kinds-things-can-open-you-demonic-oppression
- Discuss the fears that were described in the story of the demon-possessed man (e.g., demons, the people of the region, etc…) What was the abyss and why did the demons fear it so much?
- Was Jesus fearful? As His children, what should we fear? How should we approach satanic activity in the world today?
- Read Luke 8:38-39. Describe Legion before and after meeting Jesus. Why did Jesus refuse the man’s offer to follow him and tell him to return home instead?
- How did Jesus give him a better story?
- Briefly, describe your life before and after meeting Jesus. How has Jesus given you a better story?
- What is hindering you from having a better story (e.g., lack of obedience, lack of spiritual discipline, lack of a relationship with Christ, etc…)