” The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it on the seas and established it on the waters.”
“everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- How many of you recognized the song by Frank Sinatra “I Did It My Way”? How many of you actually knew the lyrics to the song? Read them and then discuss their meaning “For what is man, what has he got? If not himself, then he has naught. To say the things he truly feels And not the words of one who kneels. The record shows I took the blows And did it my way.”
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- The Bible says in Genesis 1:1 and 1:26-27 that God is the Creator and that He created mankind in his own image. Thinking of what Troy shared from the Bible, what does it mean to be created in God’s image?
- Read Proverbs 15:3, Psalm 147:4-5, and Psalm 139:1-4. In what ways are we not like God? Read and discuss this excerpt from “What does it mean that humanity is made in the image of God (imago dei)? “Today, we still bear the image of God (James 3:9), but we also bear the scars of sin. Mentally, morally, socially, and physically, we show the effects of sin. The good news is that when God redeems an individual, He begins to restore the original image of God, creating a “new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness” (Ephesians 4:24).” (gotquestions.org/image-of-God.html)
- Read Isaiah 43:7 and Psalm 8:4-6. Why were we created?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- How does the fact that you are created in God’s image affect your view of yourself?
- Affect your view of others?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- What are some specific examples of ways we can fulfill the purpose we were created for and how can they fulfill our responsibilities as God’s image bearers?
- What are some activities that you and your small group can do at Generations or in Brunswick County to fulfill some of those responsibilities? Make plans to participate in a project that will enable you to reflect the image of your Creator.
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Read Romans 5:8. Thank God for loving us in spite of our sin, for dying on the cross to purchase our forgiveness and eternal life, and for giving us life, joy, purpose, and fellowship with Him.
Start digging. For further study.