Click here to print.
TEXT: James 4:1-12
- Christmas is around the corner. Kids (and adults) are creating their “wish lists.” Share stories of receiving or giving that “have to have” gift. Commercials are made to make us feel like we “have to have” their product. Share some favorite commercial jingles and/or take this pop quiz.
- Read James 4:1-6. Pastor Lee talked about the “lust of the eye, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life.” Discuss how these create temptations and how they relate to being a “friend of the world.”
- How does this cause wars within us and around us in our relationships?
- Re-read James 4:6. Share a time when you humbled yourself and admitted you were wrong.
- Read and discuss Galatians 5:22-25.
- Read James 4:7-10. How does submission to God help us overcome temptation?
- What does it mean to truly submit to God?
- If we submit ourselves to God, will temptations go away?
- Why is it so important to God that we are humble in our relationship with Him?
- Why is it so important to stand against the devil? List ways that you can stand against him.
- Read James 4:11-12. The word ‘brothers’ refers to fellow Christians. Why are we so quick to judge our brothers?
- What do you understand to be the difference between discernment and judgment?
- Does this mean we should ignore sinful actions of Christians?
- What attitude should Christians have when confronting sin in their brothers?
- List as many negative synonyms for ‘self-sufficiency’ as you can.
- What are some steps we can take to overcome them?
- What are some steps we can take to get closer to God this week?
Be on the alert for situations that could tempt you to judge a fellow believer. What are some practical steps can you take to guard against judgmentalism while practicing discernment?
Daily Bible Readings for the week of 11/27/2016:
Day 1: James 4:1-6
Day 2: James 4:7-10
Day 3: James 4:11-12
Day 4: James 4:13-17
Day 5: Galatians 5:22-25
Day 6: Matthew 7:1-5
Day 7: Psalm 103:13-18