2 Peter 1:16-18 NLT
But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. In their greed, they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.
Galatians 1:6-9 NLT
I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ. You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ. Let God’s curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you. I say again what we have said before: If anyone preaches any other Good News than the one you welcomed, let that person be cursed.
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s your favorite movie based on the life of Bible character? What’s your least favorite?
- Why does Hollywood so often screw up a good Biblical character?
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- Read 2 Peter 2:1-3. When Peter talks about false teachers, what does he mean?
- Pastor Troy called out several religions and teachers by name. Some would say that’s being intolerant; what do you say? How do we practice discernment and tolerance at the same time?
- What are the 3 qualities of a false teacher that Troy listed? Share and discuss.
- Most false doctrine has an element of truth, why is that so dangerous?
- What is wrong with the gospels of Thomas and Philip? Why aren’t they to be trusted as absolute truth?
- Why is it so important for followers of Christ not to get swayed by false teachers in the world today?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- Have you experienced false teaching in your life? Maybe in the church of your youth, at a conference, or in school? How did you determine the teachings were false?
- How would you discuss what you know to be a false teaching with someone who wholeheartedly believes it is truth? Have you ever lost a friendship or relationship over sticking to the Truth of the scriptures?
- Is there anything you think we, followers of Christ, should tolerate even though it is wrong according to scripture? Explain why? (e.g. This is 2020, the Bible is outdated, the Bible was never written to be followed completely.)
- What steps do you personally take to make sure that you aren’t being influenced by false teachers?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Commit to studying the Bible more so you don’t get swayed by false teachers.
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Father, thank you for the absolute truth of the Bible. Open our eyes to false teachers in the world and help us to stand firm in the truth of what Your Word says. In Jesus Name. Amen.
Start digging. For further study.