פַּלֹנִי peloni: “such and such”
Two Major Laws:
- Redemption of Inheritance
- Levirate Marriage
What is Redemption?
- “To buy back”
- Every tribe of Israel had a permanent share of the Promised Land (Genesis 17:8, Exodus 32:13)
- See Leviticus 25:23-34
Who was Mr. What’s-his-face?
- He was focused solely on himself
- He was content to let a close family member die on his watch
- He did not fear God
Taking off Sandals:
- Matthew 10:14
- Acts 13:51
What does this mean [for Ruth]?
- Ruth had no rights or prospects
- Reviled for her heritage
- She could not save herself
- Her future was grief and loneliness
- Her situation was hopeless
- Boaz had no obligation to Ruth
- He still saved her at great expense
- Ruth experienced true love
- Ruth inherited heaven on Earth even though she was a Gentile
What does this mean [for us]?
- We have no rights or prospects
- Reviled for our sin
- We cannot save ourselves
- Our future is grief and loneliness
- Our situation is hopeless
- Jesus had no obligation to us
- He still saves us at great expense
- We will experience true love
- We will inherit heaven in Heaven even though we were sinners
God’s plan is to redeem you to live a transformed, fruitful life for His glory.