John 14:16-17 ” And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.”
Galatians 5:22-23 ” But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- As a child, did you have any concept of the Holy Spirit? Did it conjure up a mental image? Share with the group.
- As a child, were there foods that absolutely tasted awful to you, but that you now enjoy? Why do you think our taste buds change as we age?
Start thinking. Ask a question to get your group thinking.
- Troy mentioned that “our spiritual taste buds change” when the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. Read 1 Corinthians 2:10-16. According to these verses and the verses Troy shared, who is the Holy Spirit and where does He come from?
- Read Ephesians 1:13-14 and Romans 8:9. How does a person receive the Holy Spirit?
Start sharing. Choose a question to create openness.
- Discuss Troy’s “job description” of the Holy Spirit. If you have received the Holy Spirit, how has He worked to change your “spiritual taste buds” in these areas: imparting the desire and ability to live differently; equipping and directing you into areas of service; and guiding you into and giving you understanding of the truth. Share specific examples in each from each area.
- What did you gain from your obedience to the Spirit’s prompting? Read Hebrews 10:24. How can sharing those experiences with someone spur them on to act in love and do good deeds in the power of the Holy Spirit instead of relying on their own power?
- What guardrails should you set in place to keep you on the road of reliance on the Holy Spirit instead of veering into the ditch of self-reliance?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Read John 1:12. If you have not accepted Jesus as your Savior, what’s keeping you from taking that step? Ask your group if you have questions. If you still have questions, Starting Point at Generations Church may have the answers. It is currently meeting at the church on Sunday mornings in Room A-2 from 11:15 am-12:30 pm. If you’re interested, you need to jump on this Sunday. To sign up check out this link: https://generationschurch.com/steps/starting-point/
- If you have accepted Jesus as your Savior, what next steps is the Holy Spirit prompting you to take: baptism, volunteering at Generations or somewhere in the community, inviting someone to Football Sunday or something else (look on the back for info.)? Share with the group to be accountable to follow through!
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Ask God to reveal His path for you, trusting that His Spirit will give you the desire and power to share the truth, the right words to say, and the courage to say them.
Start digging. For further study.