Click here to print.
Download and Print PDF
“No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
2 Corinthians 5:21
“God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Share a time when your pride caused you to put your foot in your mouth, talk in the third person, or just plain make a fool of yourself.
- Share an example of someone you know who displayed humility by valuing others above themselves.
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking, to create openness.
- Troy said that “pride steals our joy and humility restores it”. Has your pride ever caused you to damage, create division, or destroy a relationship? How long did it take you to figure that out? Are you still wrestling with it? Were you able to humble yourself, value others above yourself, and restore the relationship?
- Read Philippians 2:6; John 5:18; Colossians 1:15-16; and Hebrews 1:2-3. Who is Christ Jesus and what was his place before He came to earth? Read John 1:1-4. How is Jesus the “very nature of God”?
- Read John 1:14 and 1 John 1:1-4. What does it mean to say that Jesus is God in the flesh?
- Read Philippians 2:1-8. How does Jesus demonstrate the teaching in verses 3-4?
- What does Paul tell us about who Jesus is? What does Paul tell us about what Jesus chose to do?
- So, how do we have the mindset of Christ?
- Read Philippians 1:9-11; 1 Corinthians 10:31; and Galatians 1:3-5. To whom should the glory go?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Read Philippians 2:3-4 again. To say that we can just decide to be humble and have the mindset of Christ on our own is like trying to stay on a diet when you work at Burney’s. Troy gave us 5 things that will help us allow the Holy Spirit to work in our lives. What are the 5 things? Which one is the toughest for you? Why? Which one(s) do you need to implement
- Study and discuss these verses about humility. Ephesians 4:2; 1 Peter 5:6-7; Proverbs 11:2; and Psalm 25:9. Share other verses that you know. How can you apply these verses in your life?
- “Invite accountability” is part of one of the steps at Celebrate Recovery. “Openly examine and confess my faults to myself, to God, and to someone I trust.” Consider checking out Celebrate Recovery on Friday nights as a small group together over the summer. Starts with dinner at 6:15. If you’re looking for a service project, you can also provide a meal!
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Read through Philippians 2:1-11 again and ask God to guide you to have the same mindset as Christ Jesus as you allow the Holy Spirit to work in your life to equip you to be humble and glorify God in all you do and say.
Start digging. For further study.