Download PDF of Questions here
“For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.”
1 Thessalonians 2:13
“And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Have you ever wanted to join a specific group or club? Were there requirements that you had to meet? Were you able to meet them? Sometimes Christianity can be treated the same as joining a club, but let’s jump into the questions and discuss what the Bible says about who gets in and why?
Start thinking and sharing. Ask a question to get your group thinking and to create openness.
- How do we know the answers to any questions about God? In order to respond to that question, we want to point out that one of the core values of Generations is Biblical Authority. “God speaks to us through the Bible and we recognize it as the final authority for our lives.” Why is this value important to our discussion? Read and discuss 1 Thessalonians 2:13, Psalm 86:8-10, Romans 1:20, and 2 Timothy 3:16-17.
- Abraham lived in Old Testament times. Read Romans 4:1-3. What did Abraham “do” in order to be “righteous” in God’s eyes? What are the first 2 words in all these verses; Hebrews 11:3-9. 11, 17, 20-24, 27-31. Read Hebrews 11:1-2, 13-16. In what did these people of the Old Testament (before Jesus’ death on the cross) put their faith?
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:3-4. In what do the people of the New Testament (after Jesus’ death on the cross) put their faith?
- In Matthew 7:21-23 Jesus is speaking to people who claim to be Christians, but they are frauds. Troy points out that this is different than a Christian, who has truly trusted Christ as their Savior, who “feels” like a fraud. Think about a time when you felt like a fraud because you were dealing with things like sin, busy life, doubts, or something else. Does just feeling like a fraud mean you’re a fraud? Why or why not?
- We don’t feel our way to salvation, we faith our way there. Read and discuss Ephesians 2:8-9 and Romans 10:9-10, 13, and John 3:16. Read Romans 1:16 and discuss if, when it gets right down to it, there is really any difference between the OT and NT way to heaven?
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Have you put a “stake in the ground”? Discuss this idea with your group. Are you struggling with feeling unsaved, that your faith isn’t enough? What’s stopping you from putting a “stake in the ground” today?
Start praying. Be bold and pray with power.
- Pray for God to help you grow in your knowledge of HIS Word.
Start digging. For further study.
- Continue to discuss the question, “Is there some way for anyone to be saved after death?” Study through the article on the back of this sheet.